Thursday, February 27, 2014

Review: Up From the Grave by Jeaniene Frost


Title: Up From the Grave
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Series: Night Huntress series book 7
Genre: Urban fantasy (Vampires, Ghosts, Ghouls), Romance
Status: Series-ended

Lately, life has been unnaturally calm for vampires Cat Crawfield and her husband Bones. They should have known better than to relax their guard, because a shocking revelation sends them back into action to stop an all-out war…

A rogue CIA agent is involved in horrifying secret activities that threaten to raise tensions between humans and the undead to dangerous heights. Now Cat and Bones are in a race against time to save their friends from a fate worse than death…because the more secrets they unravel, the deadlier the consequences. And if they fail, their lives—and those of everyone they hold dear— will be hovering on the edge of the grave

-Goodreads.com

When I found out that this book was the last installment, it seriously broke my heart. I was still enjoying Cat and Bones' life that I don't want it to end yet. However, now that I think about it, I think it is really the time for the series to end. Ever since the 4th book, the story, somehow, went downhill. I think Jeaniene really has exhausted herself. Or maybe, she just made the first 3 books really awesome and it damaged the reviews on the later books. Still, all is well.

I'm somehow reluctant to say this because I seriously love the series but I'm quite disappointed in this book that I was thinking of giving it a 3.5. However, I thought that these disappointments didn't really justify the whole book. What's really disappointing is that the author used the "child" approach ending. This is just like Breaking Dawn. I'm sorry to those who got offended but that is the only thing I could think of. Don't get me wrong this has way better exposition than Breaking Dawn but Jeaniene forced the happy ending. I was completely fine if she didn't bring a child in. I mean I've accepted that fact but why do you need to bring one in? The situation was too unlikely for it to happen that ending it just as it is was totally fine. 

Another is how Jeaniene always makes Bones right. I was a bit disgruntled that Bones pointed out something wrong with Cat again. I thought Cat managed to solve that. I mean can't Bones be wrong for even a moment? He is always doing his macho thing. I sometimes think that Bones is the one who is wrong and not Cat. This is not a good way to end Bones' image. Also, what happened to the chemistry?! It was totally fine with me if they have less bed scenes but the chemistry between them just dissolved. I think Jeaniene focused too much on the story rather than giving this couple another moment to shine their love on us. 

Enough of the bad stuff. Here are some of the good parts. So far this book debut every important character in the series which just shows you that it has really come to an end. *sniff* It was quite fun actually to get reacquainted with the past characters. You could see how Charles/ Spade turned into an overprotective goofball, how Ian is still a hot rake -^.^-, how Marie is still one scary bitch, how Cat's team is the awesomest friends ever, etc. Though, it's a bit sad that Jeaniene didn't give us much of Vlad and Cat time. I'm going to miss them together so much. Also, I've just noticed. Jeaniene has a favoritism on Tate, which I don't really know why. Is Ian going to get a book?

The story was really fine. The plot was great and the story is something really big for an ending. Though, a bit less on the fight scenes, the events were great, nonetheless.

I just can't believe that it's already ended. Even if I've pointed out some bad stuff here, this doesn't change that fact that The Night Huntress series is too die for. I'll miss all the characters in this book. A very big thank you for the wonderful ride Cat and Bones gave us. This couple would forever be in my heart <3

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment