Monday, February 3, 2014

Review: Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk


Title: Magic to the Bone
Author: Devon Monk
Series: Allie Beckstrom series book 1
Genre: Adult, Urban Fantasy (Witches)

"Everything has a cost. And every act of magic exacts a price from its user - maybe a two-day migraine, or losing the memory of your first kiss. But some people want to use magic without paying, and they Offload the cost onto innocents. When that happens, it falls to a Hound to identify the spell's caster - and Allison Beckstrom's the best there is.

Daughter of a prominent Portland businessman, Allie would rather moonlight as a Hound than accept the family fortune - and the strings that come with it. But when she discovers a little boy dying from a magic Offload that has her father's signature all over it, Allie is thrown into the high-stakes world of corporate espionage and black magic.

Now Allie's out for the truth - and must call upon forces that will challenge everything she knows, change her in ways she could never imagine ... and make her capable of things that powerful people will do anything to control."

-Goodreads.com

I was looking at my shelf and I just couldn't decide what to read next. I'm going through synopsis and synopsis and I finally landed on this series. I seriously made a good choice. I was actually captivated by the memory losing part because I know that drama and suspense is involve when memory is tampered with so I went on a journey where you have to pay to use magic.

The plot was easy enough to understand. I actually had fun with it. I love the pain that magic is inducing in Allie. Yes! Suffer more! I think that's what won me over. I've checked the book's rating in Goodreads and it actually has a low rating. I'm seriously weirded out by this because I think the story is mighty fine. The book packs a lot of adrenaline in it, the chases, the kidnapping, the murder, and the shooting, were all great and fun. I thought the death of Allie's father wasn't really but sorry folks, he's dead.

The only flaw in this book is the relationship of Allie and Zay. It just happened way too fast. Also, I don't believe Zay's reasons. I think he is after something or something happened between them that Allie may have forgotten. I'm hoping the next book could manage to clear out more of the mysteries circulating. Also, I hope Allie gets more educated. 

Rating:4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment