Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Review: The Rising by Kelley Armstrong

Title: The Rising
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Series: Darkness Rising book 3
Genre: Adventure, Supernatural, Young Adult
Status: Series Ended

"Things are getting desperate for Maya and her friends. Hunted by the powerful St. Clouds and now a rival Cabal as well, they're quickly running out of places to hide. And with the whole world thinking they died in a helicopter crash, it's not like they can just go to the authorities for help.

All they have is the name and number of someone who might be able to give them a few answers. Answers to why they're so valuable, and why their supernatural powers are getting more and more out of control.

But Maya is unprepared for the truths that await her. And now, like it or not, she'll have to face down some demons from her past if she ever hopes to move on with her life. Because Maya can't keep running forever."


I think Kelley managed to save this series. This is the best book in the series. Though, still not as good as the Darkest Powers series. Yes, I will compare both of the series until the end. I think I've prolonged not reading this book and I'm glad that this series is something that I can leave in my shelf for good.



The book has a great catch up narration. I couldn't really remember anything from the past 2 books, except that I hate it. After reading a few chapters, everything just came back to me and I was on the roll again. It isn't like those books that narrate everything all over again. It just gives you hints that trigger your memories, which is really great.

This is actually an ending for both series. Though, Kelley never managed to explain the Curse of the Necromancer to us. Both groups have finally met up! I've been waiting for this since book 2. However, it was a bit disappointing. Derek and Chloe are a bit different here. The witty group managed to catch the disease of this series. In other words, they got dumb. This is not a good portrayal of the last series' character. I was hoping that they had the answer but they didn't. Also, they didn't use their powers at all, except for Derek & Kit.

I think the book is a bit dragging as well. Kelley could have finished it in only half of its original length. Nothing really happened, unlike the Reckoning, where you can't stop bouncing in your seat. Furthermore, I didn't like what happened in the end. It's not your usual ending actually, which I would give Kelley points for, but still something I didn't like. I think the real upside in this book is that something bloomed out of Maya's relationship.

Actually, in a way, I feel sad leaving this book. I was hoping Kelley made the relationship realization part a bit earlier so it could have dragged out until the end. I'll miss the characters here even if they were a bit stupid and naive.

Also, I think Kelley gave me back the fun in reading young adult. I want to thank her for that. Meaning more young adult book reviews to come.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment