Thursday, January 2, 2014

Review: Bloody Bones by Laurell Hamilton


Title: Bloody Bones
Author: Laurell Hamilton
Series: Anita Blake series book 5
Genre: Adult, Crime, Urban Fantasy (Vampires, Weres, Witches, Faes) 

Anita Blake is asked to fly to Branson, Missouri to raise a few corpses from the disturbed mass grave to settle some legalities. However, like most of her cases, this case is a lot more complicated than it seems.

Someone is out killing children in the vicinity and Anita doesn't have the RPIT crew to back her up, only Larry. She needs to solve the murders by working with power hungry people and the Master of the City, Jean Claude. However, it seems that power hungry public servants isn't the only problem of Anita. She needs to deal with a power hungry vampire to solve this interconnected case and she may once again lose her life trying to save humanity.

I'm a bit disappointed in this book. I was seriously expecting more improvement on Anita's power but it wasn't enough. I mean yes she discovered something new but the author is holding out on us. She's torturing us by giving us very slow progress on Anita's character growth. By reading the title, I know it has something to do with Anita's necromancer powers but the executions is just so sad. *sob*

Concerning the plot of this book, I didn't really enjoy it. The author once again made it too complicated. I mean don't twist it to the point that you couldn't follow it anymore. At first, you want a grave rising. The next, you want to solve the murder case. The next is a master vampire who's gone mad and a fairy out to do severe damage in the world. I mean just pick one. All the twists and turns are stressing out my brain. Furthermore, the ending of the plot SUCKS. The author immediately ended the story. It's not really like the last few books where there is butt kicking. I didn't like it at all. It was poorly executed. 

Regarding Anita's character, I wish the author could make her more brutal. Larry is a distraction to Anita. She needs to be moral. BLAH! That doesn't work in the real world. If you do that, you'll end up dead. I wish Anita could just continue on being heartless, like Kate Daniels in Ilona Andrew's series. The author is bring back the weak Anita in her series. I was seriously happy when she stopped in the first book but it's coming out again. On the other hand, I didn't like Jean Claude's involvement in this book. I didn't really feeling anything between them. Not a good love story. *sigh*

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment