Sunday, December 15, 2013

Review: Treason by S.M. Boyce


Title: Treason
Author: S.M. Boyce
Series: Grimoire Saga series book 2
Genre: Young adult, Supernatural (fairy), Adventure

Kara, the new Vagabond, plans on reuniting the kingdoms of Ourea and bringing peace to the land once and for all. However, she must put her mission first before herself. This means that happiness is not something she could have, according to the first Vagabond. She is tasked to form her Vagabond army in exchange for saving the person she loves the most, Braeden. She needs to look for people whom she could trust to accomplish this task.  

However, it seems that she did not bring unity between the kingdoms, despite her efforts, but a single enemy, her. Kara is caught between lies and manipulation to attain their self interests. After being stepped on a lot of times, would Kara still save these people who lied and hurt her? Or will she just give up on them?

I didn't really stumble upon this book, like most of my new reading list. I was asked to review Lichgates (book 1) for a book tour. I really thought I would just get the first book over with and resume with finishing off my to-read list. However, I was seriously captivated by this series. I couldn't stop myself. After finishing the first book, I just got to get my hands on the second one. I immediately started reading it way before I managed to write a review for the tour.


I honestly think this series improves as the story goes on. The first book was like an appetizer compared to this one. The naivety in the first book completely vanished from this one. Everybody has their own agenda and they'll do everything in their powers to get it. Everybody's masks are being ripped off and showing the real side to the people of this world. While I was reading the book, I seriously couldn't pick off the good guys and the bad guys. I don't know how Kara lives like this. If that was me, I would have gone crazy a long long time ago thinking about who to trust.

I'm confessing that I had a bit of a rocky time by the middle because I was itching to read some of my books, considering this is not really a necessary read for me, but I'm glad I didn't shift series. It became rocky because of all the deceiving part and the stupidity of some characters. The book gave me a heavy feeling seeing all these people turn on each other. It's just so painful to watch; I think a big part of this is that it's simply a reflection of our society, greed and power. Also, the stupidity of the characters are irritating. The close mindedness of the first Vagabond. The childish behavior of Gavin. The greed of Aislynn and the other Bloods. The pigheadedness of Braeden. However, the bad feeling and irritation paid off. S.M. Boyce blew my mind off with this book. She did something I would never expect and of course that is a secret for you guys. I don't want to ruin the fun. All I can say is that you'll just have to take my word for it that it will blow your mind away.

I'm so excited on how Kara will improve her new found powers and what would the Vagabonds do to save Ourea. I'm also quite curious as to the plan of Carden & Deirdre. I'm seriously excited to read the next book but sadly I still couldn't get my hands on a copy. I might get it after a few months or a year. I just hope I won't forget the wonderful world of Ourea.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment