Saturday, December 21, 2013

Review: Soulless by Gail Carriger


Title: Soulless
Author: Gail Carriger
Series: Parasol Protectorate series book 6
Genre: Adult, Historical, Fantasy (Vampires, Werewolves, Ghosts), Steampunk

Alexia Tarabotti is a sophisticated spinster living in England and she has no soul. She can negate all supernatural powers of Vampires and Werewolves, leaving them human when in contact. However, a vampire doesn't know what Alexia is and attacked her, which is truly rude. Alexia accidentally killed the vampire and Lord Conall Maccon, a werewolf, came to investigate. Alexia managed to not get into trouble for Lord Maccon didn't bring up her name in the report. Or so she thought.

The queen of the hive asked for an audience from Alexia. Everybody knows no one comes out of the hive unharmed. Also, vampires & werewolves are disappearing and Alexia is also in danger of getting kidnapped. 

I really had fun with this book. It combined 2 of my favorite genres: historical & supernatural. I was really excited to read this book. I mean a sophisticated lady killing vampires in her tea time? How fun is that? I can't really say if the story is using authentic manners or language based on the timeline but I find how they speak really endearing. Though, I had a little trouble with vocabularies. I think most of that is my lack of exploration in the English language.



I love the plot. It is funny and exciting. I love how Alexia is a witty girl and she is always having verbal fights with Conall. Also, I think the villain in this book is cool. He is sick and psycho. He has a messed up mind. I think it's because of the high intelligence. Though, I would have so love it if Alexia did something more to fight back. I think that's what doesn't mix with the timeline. Alexia is trying to be sophisticated at the same time fierce? Also, I don't get the parasol thing. It doesn't really do much. Furthermore, I would have so love to see more confrontation with Alexia's irritating family.

The first half of the book is to establish the relationship and the other half is to take care of the actual problem. I think this is a lack of finesse from the author's writing. I think it would have been much better if she mashed it all up. Still this is a very unique story. I never really expected this.

Can't wait to read the next one.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment