Saturday, December 7, 2013

Review: The Island by Jen Minkman


Title: The Island
Author: Jen Minkman
Series: The Island series book 1 (novella)
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian

Leia lives on an island where children, who reaches the age of 10, are separated from their parents and live on their own. They don't rely on anyone but themselves. They live on the minor with the other children to learn how to survive. Leaving and interacting with their parents is not an option; they could only do so when they get married or leave the minor. 

In the minor, Saul is their leader. He follows and teaches what is written in the Book to everybody. However, it seems that Saul is not teaching them everything in the book and are keeping secrets himself. Is there really another world or life outside the walls? Is there another way of living other than the life they have? Leia may have been living in a world full of lies but will she be willing to let everything she knew and believe in go despite the circumstances? 

This is my very first novella series. I'm not really into novellas. Most of the novellas I read is only a short installment to a series. I was a bit uneasy with this experience because most of the novellas I read are a disappointment. They just ruin the series for you. You'll think that the author is scamming you for writing something that is totally useless and letting you buy it because you won't really get the next book if you don't. However, this book isn't like that.

The flow of the story was really good. It was great actually. This is just like your normal book compacted into a novella. The events are well connected. Though, the story progressed way too fast but it's understandable considering it's a novella. Also, the thing about the plot is that you could easily see the ending or what's going to happen. In other words, it was quite predictable.

The author used Star Wars as her basis for the story. I don't really know anything about Star Wars so it was fine with me. Although, I think I'm missing some connections. I don't recommend this to Star Wars fans because if it was me, I would be so pissed with what the author did, taking up parts of series and using it for my own story. Again, I don't know anything about it so totally fine.

On the other hand, character-wise I didn't really see any improvement or drastic change because it was way too short. Favorite characters. None, as well, because I didn't really get the much time with the characters.

Over all, fine. If you want to read something short and has some sense to it, this book is good for you.

I would like to thank Jen Minkman for providing me a copy of the book for this review.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment