Monday, December 16, 2013

Review: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris


Title: Dead Until Dark
Author: Charlaine Harris
Series: Sookie Stockhouse series book 1
Genre: Urban fantasy (Vampires, Shapeshifter, Nymph), Adult

Sookie Stackhouse is a beautiful waitress in a bar in Louisiana. but people call her "crazy". Sookie has a "disability", as she calls it. Shea can read minds ever since she was young. She reverted to herself because she just couldn't stand what other people are thinking and it also freaks them out. However, it seems that not everyone is affected by her "disability". She could not read the mind of Bill, a vampire who wishes to blend in with the humans. 

For Bill, blending in seems to be not an easy task, most especially when you are a suspect for the murder of women in town. Also, being friends with a horrible crowd of vampires doesn't really help much at all. 

My fingers have been itching to read this book! I couldn't get it out of my head. I mean I gave the series a try but I didn't really enjoy it that much for the too adult contents. Though, I've been quite curious of the story because of it's popularity. I've been thinking about reading it for weeks already but just couldn't manage to do so because of the other books I'm reading. Now, I've managed to get my hands on it and it's seriously a great great decision!


I've been looking for a series that could actually get my blood pumping and this is the answer. I couldn't stop myself from finishing this book immediately, even if I have papers to write for school. The whole story just captivated me. Sookie and Bill just keeps on dragging me further in their world for every page I read. Also, it gets hotter and hotter as you continue on reading. Looking for the murderer is quite intriguing. Everybody in town just has a good mask on that you'll never expect it. I've been trying to analyze and search for the culprit but I just couldn't find him/her. Also, Sookie doesn't really rely much on Bill. She could take care of herself, in other words, not much of a damsel in distress.

I think the only problem I have in this book is that Bill & Sookie's relationship was a bit too fast for my taste. I mean you just met. Also, I thought Bill is on a strict diet but once he gets to sleep with Sookie, he drinks her blood. I mean come on where is the restraint. Though, they are still hot together. *grin*

Nothing much happened in this book, now that I think about it. It's a simple introduction to the story and I still can't see the path or storyline.

PS: Sorry for the short and vague review. I just couldn't get much out of the book, except that it is quite enjoyable.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment