Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Forever, Jack by Natasha Boyd Excerpt

Excerpt 2
Forever, Jack (Eversea 2) © 2013 Natasha Boyd


“I’m sorry,” he said.
Nothing. I felt nothing.

“It doesn’t cut it,” he went on. “I realize that. But I’m sorry.” Jack left the wall, braced his hands on the island, and hung his dark head for a second, before looking back up at me. “You have to understand something, I didn’t stay away because I wanted to. I stayed away because I had to.” Jack gritted his teeth and winced imperceptibly. “I know that doesn’t mean much to you, and I know you are dating someone else now, but I just needed you to know that. That’s all. That’s all I came to say.”
I gripped my glass of water tighter at his mention of me dating someone else. I’d been about to lift it and take a sip and his words stopped me cold. I guess he and Colt really did have a big old pow-wow on the side of the highway. Nice.
“I guess you spoke to Colt?” I was neither confirming, nor denying. But as I watched Jack carefully, and took in his tension and the way his hands gripped the counter, I realized I was admitting it. At least as far as he was concerned.
Jack nodded and cleared his throat. “He’s a good guy. Cares for you. A lot. That’s good.”
“I know,” I said simply and watched Jack’s throat bob as he swallowed. This was fascinating.
“It’s a pity for him,” he said with an even voice, “that I won’t be walking away anytime soon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment