Saturday, November 16, 2013

Review: On the Edge by Ilona Andrews


Title: On the Edge
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: The Edge series book 1
Genre: Urban fantasy

Rose Drayton is an Edger, a person who could travel from the Edge, Broken (mundane world) & Weird (magically charged world). Life hasn't really been easy for the Draytons. Rose doesn't have any relatives anymore other than her grandmother, 2 brothers & her father, who left them. She works for a cleaning company just to feed her brothers, Georgie & Jack. Also, at some point in her life, Rose was targeted by her neighbors & the blueblood aristocrats for her power. Rose could flash white, which only bluebloods could do. They live a life of danger, betrayal & poverty.

Right when everything seems to quiet down and turn normal, a blueblood, Declan Camarine, appears on her porch. The blueblood means to have her as his wife but Rose would not live a life being used for her womb. For Declan to leave her and not cause harm to her family, they made an oath. Declan will do 3 challenges and if he manages to do them all, Rose would come with him to the Weird. However, it seems that Declan isn't the only problem of Rose. Hounds are appearing in the Woods and are sucking out the magic in everything. Only Rose & Declan has the means to kill the person behind the hounds' murder and attack. However, is working with your "enemy" the right thing to do, most especially he is a hot charming guy trying to woe you?

I was super excited to read this series. I couldn't wait to finish the one I was reading before so I could start with this one. I love Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series. That is one of the best kick-ass books ever. I was actually hoping that this series could be just as violent and bloody as the last one. However, that isn't the case. I think this is a more mellow writing of Ilona, which lacks the kick-ass and blood shower, but I'm not really complaining. I think The Edge is cute while Kate Daniels is the violent, bloody & action-packed one. The Edge has this element of a Sophie Kinsella cute romance but is still scorching hot.

I could say the book is actually good. I was actually a little doubtful of the plot because it seems that it's like those historical romance book where "Is her heart protected from the man who vowed to make her his?". Don't get me wrong. I love historical romance books but I don't think that this kind of approach is applicable to Urban Fantasy. However, Ilona has proven me wrong once again. Ilona Andrews managed to make the plot work. I seriously need to kneel before her; she is just that amazing! The plot was really smooth flowing; a little slow in the first part but still great. The narration was a bit troublesome though. The book shifts from one point of view to the other.

The sign that made me realize that I would enjoy this book was the promise of 3 challenges. I think that's what made me finish the book in one sitting. I was so intrigued and excited about the 3 challenges that I just need to finish the book to know them all. Also, the ending is to die for. Ilona loves her near death scenes which is totally awesome!

The romance in this book is really cute and funny. The progress of the relationship is way faster than Kate Daniels but totally fine. Also, I love Declan's family <3.

I can't wait to read the next book! I do hope that the next one isn't like Kate Daniel's second book. Sorry I keep comparing the 2 series.

Rating: 4.5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment