Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Review: Burn the Night by Jocelynn Drake

Title: Burn the Night
Author: Jocelynn Drake
Series: Dark Days series book 6
Genre: Urban fantasy (Vampires, Werewolf, Faeries, Witches & Warlocks)
Status: Series Ended

The war is coming near between the naturi. Cynnia & Nyx need to form an army to bring down Aurora and bring peace to their endangered people. However, looking for allies ain't that easy. They need to convince Rowe, Mira, Barrett & Kane, leader of the animal clan to work together and join forces with them to finally put to an end to Aurora's madness.

After losing the people she holds dear, Mira still cannot grieve in peace. She is forced to fight in the war of the naturi and work with the people she wants to kill for the safety of her people. However, the war isn't the only thing she needs to take care of. Other than worrying about the war & the Great Awakening, Jabari is now making his move to eliminate her and her father is still using her as a pawn in his plans. Mira doesn't know if she could deal with everything and live to see another day. 

I had some problems with the narration in this book. Nyx narrated a part of the story, mostly the naturi war. I was a little disgruntled that I needed to read about Nyx. I mean I don't even like her in the first place. Why do I have to read her thoughts now when she didn't really appear or narrate the in the first few books. I somehow think that the author used the easy way out by placing eyes in the naturi ranks to quicken up the pace of the story. I don't care about Nyx or Rowe! Also, the death of Aurora wasn't satisfying at all. I took me a longer time to actually finish this book because whenever it's Nyx talking I just stop reading.


As for the great part of the book, I'm so sad that Mira is leaving us. *sniff* *sniff* Mira managed to solve most of her problems here, the Daylight Coalition, Nick, Jabari, & naturi. I love the ending part because most of it is all about Mira & Danaus. You cannot deny that Mira is super kick-ass and smart. She managed to learn how to use her powers fully and solve her problems with her wit.

The other element that made this book worth reading, despite the narration of Nyx, is Danaus. I love Danaus here! He is so caring and supportive of Mira. He's not one of those men that limits the girl to protect her. Danaus is and will always love and support Mira. I just couldn't believe that the hard headed man could be this sweet. *swoon*

"Danaus told me to tell you that 'he will be your Rowe,' whatever that means"
-Adio (Burn the Night)
I just love this line! It's been so long since I quoted a book.

The sad part here is that Stefan and Valerio didn't really do much in this book. I wished they could have appeared more. Also, the Liege is a bit of a disappointment for me. He's not what I expected. All in all almost all the holes were filled. This is quite a nice book to end the series.

My journey with Dark Days has finally come to an end. I will miss Mira and Danaus so much. *cry*

PS: I would have given this 5 stars if only Nyx didn't narrate.

Rating: 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment