Friday, November 15, 2013

Emotionally Compromised by A. Rosa Excerpt

Emotionally Compromised Excerpt

The car pulls away, and I am alone with Jeremy, who is now standing right next to me.
I stare into the distance, not wanting to make eye contact even though I know he's staring at me. I bob back and forth on my heels, waiting for a cab, wishing for this moment to be over. He scoffs next to me, and I still don't budge.

As if he can't take it, he says, "Really?"
The statement almost offends me. I turn to look at him, and it is a blatant mistake. He stands with hands in his pockets in a nonchalant sort of pose. My mouth starts watering. Focus.
"Excuse me?" I ask.
"You're kidding right now, right? That stunt you just pulled with Marcus. Is this all because I grabbed your ass?" He is coming dangerously close to being crude, and I decide to get right to the point.
"Is this because I offered him my number, and not you?"
His mouth forms a hard line, and he is all tough CEO, but I am no mouse and I stare right back. After a moment, he is trying to hold back his smile.
"Maybe it is." He pouts.
When Jeremy pouts, it's a remarkable sight. I gulp over my last thought.
"Well, I would say I'm sorry, but I'm not," I say.
As if dumbfounded, he continues, "Why Marcus? Why him? He's been a drunk slob all night!"
Is he really putting down his friend? I wonder if talking about his friends this way is a habit.
I turn to look away because I can't think of a logical response. He knows I am attracted to him, and I will not let him take advantage of that fact. I can tell he thinks it's funny that I am giving him the silent treatment, and it annoys me.He riles me up!
He leans in somewhat close, and in a mocking tone, he says, "Is it these blue eyes? Are they too much for you?"
Before I can stop it, a laugh erupts from my mouth, and I look at him and roll my eyes.
"Mr. Hunt, you are definitely not used to not getting what you want, and it almost pleases me that I can affect you so."
He bites his lip, nodding his head as he looks away.
"You're toying with me."

Maybe I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment