Thursday, October 24, 2013

Review: Nightwalker by Jocelynn Drake


Title: Nightwalker
Author: Jocelynn Drake
Series: Dark Days series book 1
Genre: Urban fantasy (Vampires, Werewolf, Faeries, Witches & Warlocks)

Mira is the feared fire wielding nightwalker (vampire). She is the keeper of the nightwalkers in Savannah, which is her domain. She protects the secret of the nightwalkers from the human, killing those who threatens to expose them. However, a new threat arises in her city. A vampire hunter, Danaus, is killing her kind and it is her job to deal with him. 

Encountering the vampire hunter intrigued Mira. She doesn't know what this powerful being is and what he knows about her people and her past. Also, Danaus seems to be intrigued by her, as well. Mira wasn't able to kill the man after mentioning the "naturi". The single word opened up memories & nightmares that Mira tries to suppress. Their old enemies seems to be on the move again to destroy both vampires and mankind. Another war is coming and Mira doesn't know if she could survive another war with the naturis. She also do not know if she could trust anyone around her, including Danaus. 

I'm so happy that I managed to read another good urban fantasy book. Reading young adult for tour reviews haven't been that satisfying. I'm still not done with my addiction to urban fantasy and I don't now when it will end.

Back to the book, what attracted me to the series was Mira being a fire wielder. I have this thing for elemental powers and I thought the plot was interesting enough, which is actually true. There were some interesting revelations in this book that I didn't anticipate. The betrayals and lies that are happening were quite shocking and interesting. I seriously pitied Mira by the end of the book, which you'll find out if you give this book a chance. The flow was great. Each chapter contains a lot of excitement in it. I had a hard time putting the book down so I could do other stuff, like sleep.


The thing that made me love this book is how the author constructed Mira. I love the composure and toughness embedded in her. Mira is this sexy chick who knows she has the power to kill and she isn't afraid to use it. Most heroines are way too dramatic for their own good. Mira knows her boundaries and what she needs to do. If she needs to do something, she doesn't hesitate to do so, despite the guilt that may consume her. She isn't a drama queen. She doesn't dwell on her guilt or problems. She remembers it and learns from it, end of story, moving on. Furthermore, I love how Mira is using her sex appeal. I mean, if you have something to show, why not show it? She is not the shy type that says "I don't know what crossed my mind but I ...." She does what she wants and no one can stop it.

On to the love story. The relationship in this book progresses at a slow pace. I think this is a good thing because you could see how the hate and animosity between the two change to something different entirely while they get to know each other. I think the author is still focusing on Mira and establishing the plot in this book, which is why there isn't that much development in this category. However, I do expect the next book to quicken the progress a bit.

Overall, a great read. I can't wait to read the next one.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment