Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Review: Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews


Title: Magic Burns
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: Kate Daniels series book 2
Genre: Urban fantasy (Vampires, Weres, Witches), Mythology

Kate, a magic-clean-up mercenary, is facing a new challenge. During a gig with Jim, someone killed their target with a shaft to the head. Not only did the unknown man made her a few bucks poorer, he seems to be the one who stole the pack's maps and could vanish at any moment. The Pack asked for Kate's help to get the maps back. However, nothing seems to be that simple with Kate's life, something else is brewing and Kate needs to find out what it is. Other than the flares, which is like a magic tsunami, she found large pit holes, a huge cauldron, a missing coven of witches, a little girl who could see magic, and a whole new form of deadly creatures. It seems someone is trying to bring to life a god & goddess, whom could cause destruction to the world and leave thousands of people dead. 

I am seriously confused with this book and was super disappointed. I was so excited to read this book because of how great the first one was. The first few chapters were great, Kate being her kick-ass self. She gets attacked by a hoard of seeves and she beat everyone of them.

However, everything gets confusing when the talk about the mythology comes in. I don't know if the mythology she is talking about really exists or I'm just simply illiterate on the said mythology but I didn't really understand a thing. There were so many characters in the book that I don't know who is the protagonists or the antagonist. Everything just jumbled in my head. I think it would have been better if the book has an appendix at the back for better understanding. By 2/3 of the book, I realize that I don't understand anything. I'm only following Bran, Curran, Jim, Andrea, & Kate because they are the only ones I know and recognize.

I just don't know if the author is trying too hard to make a unique story that she inserted gods and goddesses without really clearing up a few things about the series. I would have been better if she explained more about Kate, which she actually did in the book but it really wasn't enough. I'm just so sad after reading this book. I do hope the next one is a whole lot better.

PS: I'm sorry with the jumbled review. I was seriously at a lost after finishing the book that I just don't know what to say.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment