Saturday, November 16, 2013

Review: Intermix Nation by M.P. Attardo


Title: Intermix Nation
Author: M.P. Attardo
Series: N/A
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian

Nazirah Nation is an intermix, a child born from different races. Her family was never lacking, even if she is discriminated by others and life isn't easy for her and her family. Riva & Kashimir, her parents, try to give her and her brother, Niko, as much love & knowledge as they could give. They managed live peacefully in a house near the sea. However, At an age of 18, Nazirah's perfect life crumbled, leaving her an orphan. 

Nazirah locked up every emotion she has and vowed to get her revenge on the person who murdered her parents, Adamek Morgen. She became part of the rebellion that is lead by her brother but she is reluctant to join it, still hoping for a peaceful life with his brother. However, her circumstances won't give her that luxury. They need to go to the source of all their pain, the government. Bringing down the very source may be the solution for their awful circumstances. 

Nazirah needs to stop thinking about herself and tries to do what's best for everybody, even if she needs to work with her parents' murderer. Through her journey, Nazirah understands more about herself, bit by bit. However, she will need to remove brick by brick the wall she placed around herself. 

I was quite excited to read this book because it's my first book tour ever so when I managed to finish the series that I was reading, I immediately jumped into this one. Though, I had a bit of problem in the first few pages of the book, I really enjoyed it. I think a big part of that is because of my continuous reading of Urban Fantasy. I had to somehow rewire my brain to pick-up and read Young Adult again. There were a few bumps in the road which prolonged my reading but I was able to finish it, which is a totally good thing.


When I was 1/4 into the book, I got bummed out. I was already foreseeing the outcome of the book which what most YA Dystopian books give you, the girl will win the revolution & end-up with the guy, despite their differences. Also, I was mildly irritated to see some signs of Hunger Games and Divergent in the book. I thought this is one of those books that try to write something because some author managed to make big names for themselves, like the booming of Hunger Games & Twilight, but I was so wrong.

This book isn't anything like Hunger Games or Divergent. Ya, there are some slight similarities because they are in the same genre but this book managed to give more. What I love about this book is how it's more relatable in our society today than Hunger Games and Divergent. During the campaign journey of Nazirah, you could see the different traditions, belief and circumstances of the people. The author manages to capture these images that differentiate us from each other but uniting us, as well. The "Intermix Nation" is a world where everybody is equal, despite their origins. This book actually reminded me of Alexander, the Great. In his will, he wanted to unite Asia and Europe through intermarriage and family ties, which made him one of the greatest man in history, in my opinion. Sorry, I'm quite addicted to History which is why I placed this here. (I would just like to thank my HI 18.1, Western History, professor, David Lozada III for giving me one of the best class and semester in my college life.) This is one of the reasons why this book moved me.

Moving on, you might wonder how the author manages to write a whole rebellion in one book. Hunger Games did it through 3 books. How can she do it in one? I would gladly inform you that M. P. Attardo managed to bring justice to her writing with just one book. The whole experience was not lacking at all. The story has a very good flow to it; it neither rushes you or leaves you asking for more explanations. You could see step by step how Nazirah changes and progresses to be better.

I think the only bad side to this book is how the heroine gets irritating sometimes which I think is quite understandable because she is going through a lot. The over all story was quite satisfying, most especially the last part where all the action is. You won't really find hard-core action and blood in this book, like what I usual love to read, but it would actually let you think about the images the author is trying to impart to her readers.

This is something you must read. I would like to thank the author for giving me a copy of this book and giving me a great time.

PS: I totally love the cover of this book. It's simple but really nice.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment