Friday, October 25, 2013

Review: Guardian Angel by Julie Garwood


Title: Guardian Angel
Author: Julie Garwood
Series: Crown's Spies series book 2
Genre: Historical, Romance

Caine, the Marquess of Cainewood, vowed to avenge the death of his little brother, Colin. He will kill Pagan, the pirate responsible for the death of his brother. Pagan is a notorious pirate who stole from the rich and gives it to the poor, leaving behind a white rose as his message. 

Caine tried to pretend to be Pagan to lure him out. Every night he stays in the tavern and waits for him. One night, a beautiful lady, Jade, was looking for Pagan. She tried to hire Caine to kill her because of the people after her. Caine was reluctant to do so and promised the girl that he will protect her until her brother, Nathan returns. The more time they spend together, the more they are drawn to each other. However, it seems the timid and bad mouthed girl isn't the one in need of his protection. Jade is keeping a secret that might destroy the attraction they have. 

I've missed Julie Garwood! It's been so long since I've read one of her books and it's damn refreshing. I'm quite happy that I managed to get a copy of most of Julie's historical romance books a few days ago. To tell you, it has been a long long search. I'm actually almost done with all of them, after my addiction to Julie's book the last time. However, I think I will be repeating them to refresh my memory and write some reviews. Also, they are just that darn great. Sorry for the swearing. Jade is seriously rubbing off me :)))). I could seriously say that Julie Garwood is one of the best plot makers of historical romance. She has the substance and the great story. Though sometimes, not so great ending. This author could come up with the best background story and climaxes.

Back to the book. This is actually the second installment of the Crown's Spies series. Also, this is one of the books I've missed the last time so technically I've read the 1st and 3rd book already. I think this book is well written, not as great as the others, but still good. I think a big part is because this book has a great ending. I'm more of an ending person. If a book has a great ending, I'll love it no matter how crappy the first part is. Of course, that is to say, if I didn't drop the book first. The plot was written quite nicely. The story was continuous and smooth. The problems were all resolved in the end. I don't know why but when I was reading this book I got the feeling that I've read it before. I don't know if it's a similar plot to Julie's other book or what. There were a lot of funny moments in the book, which is always present in Julie's book. 

I like Jade. She is super great. She's smart, funny and very much resourceful. I like how Julie creates strong, yet funny heroines. This story is mostly centered on Jade's problem. The book didn't really open up a lot of stories for Caine. Caine is also great here. I was seriously expecting him to leave Jade after the secret is out and he'll just regret it and come back. However, he did not do that. He tried to understand the situation and didn't let Jade go, even if she is trying to run away. I hate it when a guy gets too emotional and does a fit. 

On the other hand, for those who wants to see Lyon and Christina again from The Lion's Lady, you'll see them again here. This book also gave a debut for the next character, Nathan and revealed parts of its plot. I love Nathan. He's just so funny and carefree. 

I can't wait to read another book from Julie. 

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment