Saturday, October 26, 2013

Review: Castles by Julie Garwood


Title: Castles
Author: Julie Garwood
Series: Crown's Spies series book 4
Genre: Historical, Romance

Princess Alesandra was orphaned at a young age. She lived in a covent and learned everything from the nuns. However, a letter arrived from Alesandra's guardian, Henry, that she is in danger. General Ivan wants to marry her no matter what. Alesandra packed her bags and went to find a husband in London to stop the threats General Ivan poses. She tried to live with her guardian and her wife but they suddenly got ill, as well as Caine & Jade, so she was sent to stay with Colin. 

Colin doesn't have marriage in mind, even when his parents keep on making matches for him. He planned to make his and Nathan's shipping company prosper first before anything else. However, a princess stepped into his house and changed everything. He and Alesandra were to be betrothed. Colin accepted thinking of duty and her protection. However, deceiving himself is not an option anymore when he can't separate himself from her wife. 

I had a little trouble reading this book and writing this review. My friend told me that she hated Castles and it ruined Julie Garwood's name for her. I don't know if I was bias already or not (I think I wasn't) but I seriously got irritated with this book. First of all, knowing that it was Colin's book, I already had a bad feeling. Don't get me wrong I like Colin in the previous books. However, it has been my experience when an author uses a minor character for spin off, they aren't all that great, and I had that exact feeling with this book.


What seriously weirded me out in this book is the random ideas. I thought a big part of the story will be about General Ivan but he didn't even last. He only took up, I think, 1/4 of the book. The big part of the book is for the dense couple to placate each other and realize that they love each other. The rest is to solve the murder. I seriously don't get the connection of all these three. Actually, the very idea of her being a princess doesn't really add up that much. Julie didn't expound on this idea. She just wants the heroine to be special and being a princess is the solution. It all didn't add up.

Next is the spat of the couple. I hate how these 2 fight. I hate how the girl is so insecure and how the guy doesn't give a thing about his wife in most parts of the book. It took a really really long time for them to actually solve their problems because they are both hard headed. The author dragged on and on about this issue. I mean she could have done something more about the other problems.

The only good thing about this book is that the ending didn't sucked. The author managed to close most of the problems, except the one with General Ivan, which is quite rare when it comes to Julie Garwood.

Not one of Julie's great works.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment