Monday, September 2, 2013

Review: Grave Witch by Kalayna Price

Title: Grave Witch 
Author: Kalayna Price
Series: Alex Craft series book 1
Genre: Urban Fantasy (Witch, Ghosts)
Status: Dropped

Alex, a grave witch, works as a PI and a free lancing shade riser. She tries to be as low profile as possible to not tarnish his father's name. However, everything seems to change after her sister, Casey, asked for her help to look into the Governor's death. She raised a shade that lashes out and she is trying to rise a body that isn't really the Governor's. Now, every news station knows about the footage of what happened and Alex's face is plastered all over the news. Also, Detective Andrews can't seem to leave her alone. Other than that, someone is trying to murder her and she has a soul sucking curse on her shoulder. Alex needs to find the real Governor to save her own life.

I'm a bit disappointed about this book. I was so excited to read it when I got it but it didn't really live up to my standards. The story has too little information or explanation on the whole concept or world they are in. The author started off with the problem already and tried to solve the mystery without really giving that much explanation, like how are grave witches different from other witches, if there are other types of witches, what would happen if her shields go down, why does she have shields in the first place, etc. For the first few chapters, I was so lost because I don't really know the concepts or terminologies.

The character of Alex isn't really that good as well. Alex seems to be a bit inept. She can't really do anything except wake up the dead. She doesn't really know how to defend herself. It seems like she is a newbie in this sort of environment which was really disappointing. (I expect urban fantasy heroines to be quite kick-ass)

Now, on to the guy problems. It's really so sad that Death doesn't show up that much and, obviously, he won't really end up with Alex because of Andrews. I would have preferred Death over him because his just so sweet and cute. He's quite caring when it comes to Alex.

Sadly, I'm not going to read the next book. I can't push myself to finish the next one. (Well, I did try)

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment