Sunday, September 22, 2013

Review: Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet by Darynda Jones

Title: Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Charley Davidson series book 4
Genre: Urban fantasy (Ghosts, Demons)

Charley, the grim reaper and incredible PI, is having some time off from her job. After the traumatic case she had last time, she needs to put herself back together, starting with dressing up and leaving her house. A new case has arrived in her door step, which could be good for her recovery. Harper is asking Charley's help because she thinks someone is trying to kill her. Someone is leaving behind dead rabbits on her bed. Charley believes that Harper is not insane, unlike what Harper's stepmother thinks of her. 

On the other hand, Charley has yet to bill Reyes for her last case. It seems that Reyes still doesn't care what-so-ever on happens to his body. He is still risking himself for Charley's protection, most especially now, when someone is standing up to be the leader of the demons. Charley needs to get a grip of herself and her powers to be able to keep herself alive.  

I like this book. The series is actually getting better and better after each book. So this book contains multiple cases again. (Seriously, I don't know how the author does this but bravo to her. She is a kick ass multi-tasker ) I love her main case in this book. It contains a lot of twist about Harper, Art, her brother, Harper's mother and the suspect. Though, the case wasn't fully explored because of dealing with Charley's personal problems; I still love it. Nobody could resist a good twist in the story.


As for Charley's personal problem, specifically her trauma, I love the whole concept of it. (Remember, I'm a sadist <3) The sad part about this is that she doesn't really have a guy fretting over her. Reyes is doing an awful job as the leading man. Well, he did somehow cure her panic attacks. With everyone worrying over her, I think they already make up for the heartless bastard. Also, the demons are getting smarter in this book, making it more exciting because the story is actually moving forward. I so wanna know where this story is heading to. However, the author just can't stop adding more mysteries and questions to the story.

On the other hand, I don't like how Garrett is acting after his near death experience. The event sucked out all the life in him, though, I think that is somehow understandable. I still miss the funny Garrett. Also, I thought I was going to get more of Donovan because of the interest he is showing Charley, but I was super disappointed. He only showed for a short time and now he needs to leave. (Why is this author being so cruel?)

Concerning the love story of Reyes and Charley, it's still the same with some small improvements. Charley manages to actually sleep with Reyes, for real this time. However, after their short understanding moments, they are back to fighting again. I blame Reyes; he is seriously a pain in the ass. The whole relationship thing is not moving because of him. Though I think the relationship will escalate in the next book because of the new arrangements.

Oh ya! I love Artemis by the way. She is just so cute.


Rating: 4.5 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment