Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Review: First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

Title: First Grave on the Right
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Charley Davidson series book 1
Genre: Urban fantasy (Ghosts, Demons), Romance

I was a bit bummed out by this book.

Charlotte, or Charley, Davidson is a private investigator, police consultant and grim reaper. Yes, she is The Grim Reaper. Ever since she was young, Charley could see and touch the dead. They come to her like a homing beacon to seek closure in life and they cross over through her.(Literally)  She is the portal to the other plane or world. Helping out the dead ain't that easy. Charley's current case is about the death of 3 lawyers that is seeking her help. She needs to find the murderer and some missing people related to the case. Though Charley has an advantage, being able to get information from the dead and all, she's still having a hard time looking for the suspect, most especially if she needs to worry about someone trying to murder her. Other than the case, Charley is also trying to investigate a guy named "Reyes", who may or may not be the person she is afraid of and the person saving her life multiple times. 

I was so excited to read this book. It is quite great mostly the first few parts. You would be so intrigued about Reyes's and Big Bad's identities that you couldn't put the book down. The investigation was really interesting too because I don't really have a clue on who the suspect is. In here, you could really see how good Charley is in her job. She could find a lost rat in a city if she just put her mind to it. On the other hand, at first, I thought Reyes was the person Charley will end up with but Garrett came along then I thought it was him. I was wrong again. It really was Reyes whom Charley will end up with. This is the forbidden-love kind of story. There are just a lot of questions and mysteries here, which the book would answer. (Well, most of them. Still fair enough) It's really quite exciting. You'll just want to know the answers to your questions about what's happening in the book.

I love Charley. She is just so witty and funny. She is a smart mouth, not in the negative way. She is also super smart. (I hate dumb heroine. It is a crime when authors create dumb heroines) I'm not so keen on Reyes yet. He didn't really talk much in this book. He just sleeps with Charley in her dreams so I can't really judge him yet.

On the other hand, the sad part in this book is that after the revelations, I didn't like the concept the author used. She did the reincarnation, I-was-in-love-with-you-way-before-you-were-born concept which totally sucks. A big chance in this is that they can't really spend that much time together because of their circumstances and they need to fight their way just to be together. Why can't they just be together? Also, I have a hunch that this will be like Charley trying to run after Reyes.

Though this book is still too interesting to give up on. It is also a funny book anyway.

Favorite Quote:
"'My fore-parts, as you so ineloquently put it, have names.' I pointed to my right breast. 'This is Danger.' Then my left. 'And this is Will Robinson. I would appreciate it if you addressed them accordingly.'

After a long pause in which he took the time to blink several times, he asked, 'You named your breasts?'

I turned my back to him with a shrug. 'I named my ovaries, too, but they don't get out as much...'"

I JUST LOVE THIS PART! I was seriously laughing out loud.
PS: I Love the Cover!

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment