Sunday, September 29, 2013

Review: Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Title: Darkfever
Author: Karen Marie Moning
Series: Fever series book 1
Genre: Urban fantasy (Fairy, Vampires)
Status: Dropped

MacKayla Lane is your Barbie doll come to life. She has long straight blond hair. Her nails are painted pink and her clothes are derived from the rainbow. Life has been really perfect for Mac, loving parents and sister, great friends, & good enough job. However, everything seems to change for Mac, after getting a phone call that her sister was murdered in Ireland. Her parents are stuck in their own misery and the police won't continue the case of her sister. It is Mac's job to try and convince the police to reopen her sister's case (typical). She left everything and went to Ireland, after a few spats with her parents, with only a message from her sister, telling her to look for Sinsar Dubh.

In Ireland, Mac wasn't having the best time of her life. People are quite hostile with her and weird stuffs are happening. She sees hideous creatures that are trying to pass as humans to feed off their life, beauty, body, etc. and they seem to be hunting her kind, sidhe-seer, who is not affected by Fae glamour, down. Mac doesn't know a thing about her hidden heritage and she keeps on getting herself into tight situations. Through her multiple incidents, she managed to stumble upon Jericho Barren, a book shop owner and artifact & car collector. It seems that this mysterious man is the only thing/person that could help Mac survives her new world and look for her sister's murderer. Ireland didn't just take her sister away from her but her perfect life, as well.

I was super excited to read this book because it has a really high rating in Goodreads but I was seriously wrong. (Sorry but I'm just going to rant about this book because that is how frustrated I feel right now.) Before I go through any details, I would just like to say that this book further killed my interest in faery themed books. It actually started off in "Wicked Lovely" by Melissa Marr. This is my first faery book. I don't want to go to any more details. Long story short it ruined it for me. I've been trying to avoid this genre ever since. However, the Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa managed to lessen my dislike for the said genre which leads to me opening this book. Another bad idea!

So back to the book, this book is too long and nothing is happening. I keep on waiting for something, anything, to happen in the book but nothing. The book is being very technical with all its terms which I think is one of the reasons why I hate faery books. I also didn't get that much information on the plot. I know that her sister was murdered because of her meddling in the other world, vampires exist, fae exists, champion boxers could be artifact collecting mobster and a fae could make you strip in public. This sums almost everything up, other than the few tiny details in the end that I don't want to reveal. The climax was jam-packed in the very end of the book, which is super irritating. Though, there are a few funny parts by the end.

Mac just keeps on being a drama queen about how her perfect life is ruined. Get a grip, you're about to die and you're not doing anything about it, other than sulking! Also, why does being an adoptive child a world shattering revelation? I mean it's not like your parents have been bad or abusive to you. You're being a bitch when they didn't tell you that you're adopted when they gave everything to you? On the other hand, her "investigation" is not even going anywhere. She is just being dragged around by Jericho to be his hound. She only managed to know something about her sister's death when only 10% of the book is left. Also, it is a joke that a useless weak girl like her would be able to kill Fae's in the last part because her "instincts" kicked in? That is just rich.

Now to the guys, Jericho is seriously bipolar. He seriously is. He is a commanding shit for one minute then turns to a jolly, cute guy. Nothing was revealed about him at all. I hate how the author wants to maintain his "mysterious" side, way too much. The other is Vlane, the fae prince. How can you like a character when he only tries to have sex with a girl when he sees her? It's more like rape, actually. This is not a character you will love.

I know I just listed negative things about the book but I just couldn't think of anything good in my current state. Sadly, I won't be continuing this series anymore. I would just save myself from the frustrations and horror that this series would likely give me.


Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment