Friday, August 30, 2013

Review: The Rivals by Daisy Whitney


Title: The Rivals
Author: Daisy Whitney
Series: The Mockingbirds series book 2
Genre: YA, Boarding-school

Once again, thank you to Daisy Whitney for giving me a copy of her book.

This book is all about a drug-dealing case that the Mockingbirds, of Themis Academy, is taking up. They went to a lot of loops and dead-ends to find the real ringmaster. However, this case is actually more troublesome for the Mockingbirds than what it seems like. A "rival" has entered Themis Academy to try and bring the Mockingbirds down. It is up to Alex, the new leader of the Mockingbirds, to solve this new case.

I was somehow bored w/ this book, well for the first few parts, but by the time I started reading it again (maybe a few hundred pages after), I was so hooked up to it that I don't wanna put the book down. The mystery of the ringmaster is so engrossing that you just want to know who is behind all the trouble. There were so many suspects that you don't know which one is it. This booked captured my every emotion: I was angry for the school not doing anything to help the students, I pity Alex for the stress and pressure she is under, I was pissed off by Alex's stupid or foolish actions in the start, etc.

What made this book great is that, you would never expect who the real culprit is. The book leaves you guessing and guessing. The culprits were so unexpected. The planning was clean and smooth that there were no loop holes to actually clue you in on the real culprits (maybe it's because it's a first person point of view and Alex is a bit dense to start with). There are also incidents that you wouldn't expect, like a tiny drop of morbid to go with the high school bullying thing. (I so love it!)

I loved how the character progressed and changed in this series, from a silent, scared, anonymous girl to a great, brave, resourceful leader. I love how Alex slowly came out of her shell and stood up for herself (mostly the last parts: the pranks and confrontations. I loved those! They're the Best!)

The only down side to this book is that the author ended it way to early. Alex didn't even get to finish her revenge. (I wanna see that because those are the best parts!) Also, I wanna know how Alex and her new team managed to create and fix everything up.

It's actually sad to be apart from this book, but the trip ends here and I did enjoy this series. I'll miss Martin and Jones >.<

Favorite quote:
"I am a Mockingbird, and I will not look the other way, and I will definitely not go quietly."

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment